I love green chili. Not soup, but more like a sauce. Actually, I’m obsessed with it. It is my preferred accompaniment to eggs, burritos, tacos, potatoes, whatever! It is rich (without being creamy) and savory. It is spicy. I love it!
I have only really encountered green chili in the mountain west and the southwest. It is made with fire-roasted green chiles, broth, onions, garlic and a tiny bit of cornstarch to thicken it up. I love to make a batch to have on hand for tacos or breakfast.
For the tofu, I always use extra firm as it has less water content and browns quickly without falling apart. I am lucky enough to have a local, excellent beanery from which to source my extra firm. Check it out here: Hodo Soy Beanery. If you don’t have that fine option, look for tofu that is packaged with just a plastic wrapper and not in the tub. Sometimes it is called “nigiri tofu” after the coagulant that is used to make it. You can find this kind of tofu at most major grocery stores, in the same place as the water-packed tub tofu.
Green Chili-Tofu Tacos
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 7 oz. cans of Ortega Green Chiles
- 2 cups of veggie broth (I use Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan on medium-high.
- Saute onions until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add green chiles and stir. Cook 3 minutes more.
- Add broth and cornstarch slurry.
- Stir until thickened and then turn down the heat to low.
- Cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the pan.
- 16 oz. extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Slice tofu into 1 cm square cubes.
- Heat oil in large saucepan on high.
- When shimmering, add tofu.
- Stir until tofu has developed a golden brown crust.
- Remove from heat.
- Mashed yukon gold potatoes
- Refried beans
- Saute summer squash
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Crema (or sour cream)
- Heat tortillas in cast iron (no oil) until they soften.
- Smear with potatoes and/or beans.
- Top with tofu and/or squash.
- Garnish with cheese, crema, avocado and cilantro.
- Fill side of plate with green chili sauce.